Greetings from CLBC,
For more than two decades, CLBC has proudly marked the occasion of Community Inclusion Month in October. This month allows us to honor the dedication of individuals, families, and community members who tirelessly work towards creating more inclusive communities and opportunities for all British Columbians, especially those with developmental disabilities.
Every year, CLBC joins the Province and Inclusion BC to identify a theme that helps build awareness about the importance of including people with developmental disabilities in all aspects of their communities. This year, the focus for the month is to build awareness about the importance of including people with developmental disabilities in their communities in all aspects of society including living independently, access to healthcare, employment, cultural activities, recreation, and sport.
You can read the government Community Inclusion Month proclamation here.
Remember, we all play a crucial role in creating a more inclusive society. Here are some things you can do:
- Participate in Community Inclusion Month events that are taking place in your community.
- Join us in recognizing Community Inclusion Month by sharing your support on social media. Use the hashtag #CommunityInclusionMonth to spread the message of inclusivity far and wide.
- Let us know what’s happening in your community. You can let us know at CLBCInfo@gov.bc.ca and we will help spread the word via our website and social media pages.
- Visit CLBC’s Community Inclusion Month page here and stay connected with us throughout the month.
- Share impactful stories, videos, and testimonials of individuals benefiting from inclusion with us. Reach out to CLBCInfo@gov.bc.ca, and together we will amplify your efforts through our website and social media platforms.
- During Community Inclusion Month, CLBC will be recognizing inclusion champions through our Widening Our World (WOW) awards. We look forward to announcing the winners in the coming days on our website here. Help us celebrate this year’s WOW Awards and the recipients as award presentations take place.
Every step we take forward together can make change. We thank all British Columbians for their support and contribution to fostering inclusive communities, places where everyone has possibilities and is welcomed.
Happy Community Inclusion Month 2023!
With warm regards,
CEO, Community Living BC