Hey everyone, we’ve come across an easy to read “need to know” guide on Coronavirus (COVID-19), please check it out and pass it along as needed.
I know there are a few Home Share Providers that are planning trips away; please see this article on International Travel from the Government of Canada.
It is with a heavy heart that we let you know that all group events (community support, etc) are cancelled until further notice.
Notes going forward:
- CSWs will make individual appointments (1:1) with people on their caseloads who would be most negatively affected by going without support
- Please be mindful of where you go (no public spaces (malls, fitness facilities, etc) except a walk at the park, etc) – safe, wide open spaces only.
- Wash your hands and encourage the person we support (PS) to wash theirs often
- If the PS or their CSW are unwell or there is a risk of exposure, err on the side of caution and cancel the appointment
- Please let us know if there’s anything we can do to help
- Keep an eye on our website for any info that we come across that may help. (direct link: https://commconn.ca/category/coronavirus-covid-19/ )
This will likely affect the Kelowna community support team more any others.
Please stay safe and be well.
Jackie and Brian
Here’s a great article from The Atlantic on the concept of Social Distancing and what it is, etc. Please check it out for some information on what you can do to minimize the risk of getting the Coronavirus (or others).
For a really geeky article on why Social Distancing works and how a pandemic spreads so quickly, check out this article from the Washington Post.
And finally, for some safe and not so safe activities as far as Social Distancing is concerned, check out this poster:
Here’s the link to the Government of Canada’s Information and Response to the Coronavirus pandemic. Thorough resource if you want up-to-date information on the number of cases and, more importantly, what to do to protect yourself.
Remember: for all of our Coronavirus related info, choose the category on the right hand side of our website or click here.
Take care and have a great weekend.
Hey everyone, passing along new Coronavirus (COVID-19) information about events and travel.
The provincial government has banned any gatherings larger than 250 people for the time being.
In addition, the provincial government says travel outside of Canada is “very risky” right now. They have said this includes travel to the United States. They are “strongly advising” against any non-essential travel outside of Canada.
Though the borders are staying open for now, the provincial government suggests that anyone who chooses to travel outside of Canada be required to stay home from work and school for 14 days when they get back to BC. This ‘isolation’ would be ‘voluntary’.
More info here.
Hey everyone, please take a minute to check out CLBC’s webpage here. CLBC is posting regular updates when they have new information, resources, and strategies to help us all stay healthy.
You can also find everything we have posted on our website, by choosing “Coronavirus (COVID-19)” from the Categories drop-down menu on the right-hand side of this page.
Hey everyone, BC Housing has a page with information on COVID-19 (coronavirus). This page is geared towards getting prepared as housing and service providers. Check it our for:
- resources and information specific to BC
- information from the Government of Canada
- regional, provincial and national health resources
- a COVID-19 Fact Sheet for Housing & Service Providers
- planning templates and suggested action steps: communicating, response planning, and situation monitoring
MARCH 11: Wash Your Hands!
MARCH 9: INFO: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
MARCH 5:INFO: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Correct hand washing is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of infection, virus and disease. WorkSafe BC provides a great video on correct hand washing technique. Check it out:
Hey everyone, in addition to our last post, we are passing along more information about COVID-19 (coronavirus) as it comes to us.
First – from our friends over at COPCS:
- Information about the COVID–19 virus through the BC Centre for Disease Control Website
- Information by phone through the Government of Canada Coronavirus Information Line: 1-833-784-4397
- Ongoing by phone through Health Link BC: 811
Second – from the BCCEO Network:
- a memo from CLBC CEO Ross Chilton with information on what CLBC is doing
Please remember to wash your hands often, and to stay home if you’re feeling sick.